History of “PHRA-YAH-W’JEE SUD-D’YAH-RUK” - Muay Chaiya Baanchangthai Camp

Go to content
ปรมาจารย์ มวยไชยา ท่านพระยาวจี สัตยารักษ์
         The ruler of Chumphorn  province (the father of his paternal grandmother) was the Siamese general who attacked Mergui and Teneserim in Burma back under the rule of Siam on the 2nd of May in 1824, his son in law, Phraya Sri Rajasongkram. Phraya Sri Rajasongkram became the governor  of Chaiya was the grandfather of Phraya Wacheesatyarak. Sri Rajasongkram had a son named Kham who became a soldier working for King Rama IV in the court of Somdech Chao Phraya Srisuriyawong who was the minister of defense during that reign. Sri Rajasongkram  received a promotion from the king to be the secretary of the governor of Chaiya when he was 25.

         Kham helped to put down the Chinese rebellion in Phuket. Once the rebellion was over, the Chinese fled into the ocean and Kham was promoted  from to the highest rank in the city of Chaiya. But the fight against the Chinese rebels was not over; those who had fled into the ocean began looting and attacking coastal seaports and towns from the southern most cities of Siam  up north into Prachuab  Khirikhan province. Two royal navy ships with 200 men were sent to aid Phuket against the raids. Even though Kham (by then promoted to Phraya Vijitbhakti Bijaisongkram)  was in charged of the city of Chaiya, but he was also responsible for the defense of Chumphorn and Kanchnadisth cities as well. To facilitate the defense of those southern coastal cities, he invented, for the first time in Siamese history, hand grenades.  This was done by putting gunpowder mixture into a small clay pot with pieces of ember on the lids. Once thrown, it caused the wooden ships of the Chinese pirates to burn. After 5 years, Kham was able to completely defeat the pirates and in the  year 1899 he was again granted an even higher rank for having invented a new weapon.

         Finally, 7 years later, on the 27th of September in 1906, Kham was promoted to Phraya Wacheesatyarak or ‘the guardian of the words of loyalty’, to overseer the oath-giving ceremony for those who would be serving the king. He died on the 29th of March of 1914.
Back to content